Things to check while selecting a diamond ring

After deciding that you want to buy a diamond ring, first thing to do would be to fix the budget for your purchase. Next thing you need to be aware of is how quality of the diamond is determined. The basic four factor which are used to determine quality of a diamond are: cut, carat, color & clarity.

Let us now look at what these four quality determinants mean:

1. Cut means the make of any particular diamond & describes properties of all finished diamonds.

2. Clarity is used to refer to how many imperfections exist in a diamond. If there are fewer imperfections then the diamond is of high quality.

3. Carat is the unit for checking weight of a diamond with 100 points equaling 1 carat.

4. Color is the last means of quality check commonly used. If the diamond has less color then it generally refers to a better quality diamond.

Apart from judging the budget for the purchase & quality, at the time of purchase you should also ask for the certificate for the diamond. This certificate will contain the inclusions & flaws the diamond has. Also be sure to check the diamond with jeweler's loupe to confirm you are getting the diamond as per the specifications mentioned.

5 comments:

Rubberecycle said...

One time my husband bought me a diamond ring and right away I saw a scratch in it. It really bothered me! I told the man in the store and he's like all diamonds are like that! I never went back to that store!
But my husband got me another one a few years later and that was a gorgeous one from http://www.excellentdiamondcutters.com! They were very helpful and I love the ring!

knight.cups said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
knight.cups said...

Beautiful article. There's plenty of sites that talk about the 4Cs, but none as concise as yours. Thanks for being articulate. It helped me in my research here on unfuse: http://www.unfuse.com/decisions/110-Engagement-Ring-for-My-Sweetheart/finalize

RichS1 said...

Great article!
When I proposed to my wife, I wanted to take her by surprise. I did everything I could in order for her to love all the decisions I made. I payed attention to her subtle comments on the type of diamond she liked so picking a diamond was the easy part. After the diamond was chosen, I didn't know which metal to use as the band.
I searched online and found this amazing website, www.engagementguide.com, and it laid down all the information about metal compositions of the band that I needed to make my decision. My advice is: go platinum. Aside for the fact that platinum is pure, rare and luxurious, it retains its color more than any other metal. Also, a huge factor is that platinum is hypoallergenic, which means it wont irritate people's skin who are allergic.
I found all my information online and everything was very legitimate and dependable. Check them out: www.preciousplatinum.com and www.engagementguide.com.

Thanks,
Rich

Unknown said...


Different shaped diamond looking so awesome. I like all shapes but pear cut looking so different. Please Visit:

Radiant cut diamonds
princess cut engagement rings